2013

2018 Military Pay Charts Reflecting Latest Raise – Updated Monthly Basic Pay Tables

6 comments

[2018 update] In his first year of office President Trump approved a 2.4% pay raise for Military staff and troops under the Fiscal 2018 National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA). This is the largest annual increase service members have received since 2010.The updated basic pay tables reflect this across the board raise effective from January 2018. Unlike the relatively […]

Read the full article →

2018 Pay Raise Approved for Federal Employees on GS Pay Scale

56 comments

[Updated 2018 GS pay chart] In his first year of office President Trump has approved an across the board 1.4% 2018 pay rise for the over 1.5 million government employees on the GS pay scale. In addition to this a 0.5% locality pay adjustment is being made to bring the total pay rise to 1.9% for […]

Read the full article →

2017 vs. 2018 Savers Tax Credit and Income Limits to Help Workers Save for Retirement

5 comments

[Updated with 2018 details per the IRS] The savers credit helps middle to lower income earners save for retirement by providing an offset to retirement plan (401k and IRA) contributions. But a lot of people don’t know about or take advantage of this little known credit, officially referred to by the IRS as the retirement savings contributions […]

Read the full article →

Federal Income Tax Tables and Rates For 2014 Tax Season

0 comments

April 15th 2014, or the 2013 tax filing due date, is not that far away. Which means its time to do some serious tax planning so that by year end you maximize your income while minimizing your taxes dues when filing in 2014.  But first, the official rates and tables for tax year 2013. In […]

Read the full article →

How Much Higher Will Mortgage Rates Go This Year

0 comments

With the tapering of the Fed’s Quantitative Easing (QE) program, economists are predicting that rates will continue rising for the remainder of 2013. This is based on the dramatic rise of the 10 year Treasury yield over the last month to which mortgage rates are loosely tied. The 30-year, fixed rate loan recently went above […]

Read the full article →

The 10 Largest Tax Breaks In The Income Tax system

0 comments

The Congressional Budget Office (CBO) has published an interesting report titled, The Distribution of Major Tax Expenditures in the Individual Income Tax System, that shows how 10 of the largest tax breaks, credits and deductions are distributed across household with different income levels. These tax breaks (or tax expenditures as they are referred to) include, […]

Read the full article →

Your 2013 Tax Rate – Understanding Your IRS Marginal and Effective Tax Bracket

4 comments

With the 2012 tax season in the rear view mirror, its time to start thinking about 2013 taxes and strategies that you can put in place to minimize taxes owed in 2014.  But before that take some time to familiarize yourself with the new 2013 tax brackets shown below. But, be careful in reading the table below […]

Read the full article →

2013 Best Online Broker Survey – Is Your Stock or Options Broker in the Top 10

0 comments

Barron’s has released their 2013 broker survey and it was good to see that most of the online brokers I use and recommend made the list. What’s interesting is the continuing shift towards mobile trading, particularly on the iPad and other tablet devices, which are being used by more and more investors for their online trading needs. You can see this […]

Read the full article →

2013 Housing Market Outlook

3 comments

My realtor who helped with buying my home a few years ago occasionally sends me newsletters on the state of the US housing market. For the most part this is marketing material looking for referrals and to keep her in mind if when I decide to sell or upgrade. But a recent newsletter she sent me had an […]

Read the full article →

2013 IRS Official Tax Updates – Tax Rate Schedules, Standard Deduction, Personal Exemption and AMT update

2 comments

The IRS has published its official 2013 changes reflecting annual inflation adjustments and tax table updates from the recently passed Fiscal Cliff legislation, officially known as the American Taxpayer Relief Act of 2012. Key changes include: For 2013 the 39.6 percent tax rate has been reinstated for individuals whose income exceeds $400,000 ($450,000 for married taxpayers filing a joint return). […]

Read the full article →