[Updated with latest provisions] Under the recently enacted $2 trillion Coronavirus stimulus bill (CARE) unemployment insurance coverage will be extended and supplemented as follows:

• Under a provision known as the Pandemic Unemployment Assistance (PUA) state-level unemployment insurance will be extended by an additional 13 weeks thanks to federal funding under the CARE stimulus. So state unemployment maximum benefits that normally last 26 weeks for example, would now last up-to 39 weeks. The extended benefits will last through Dec. 31, 2020.
  • An additional payment of up to $600 per week on top of the current and extended state UI benefits will be provided through to July 31, 2020.

Eligibility rules have also been expanded to cover more workers, including contractors and those who are self-employed. The extra boost is nearly double the current UI maximum payment in many states (see state level maximums) so has created some controversy whereby some lower income workers may get more via unemployment than through their normal wages.

Do I need to reapply for unemployment benefits with new PUA extension in place? Workers who have exhausted their current benefits will likely need to re-apply for the additional and extended coverage UI benefits now in place via their state UI program website (see list here).

When will the $600 Unemployment Benefit Payment Start?

The additional federally subsidized UI benefit payment will be applied to your current (active) benefit amount once the federal government releases funds to the relevant state UI administration agency. This should start happening from April 2020. Note that if you have already exhausted your current state UI benefits, you will still be eligible for this additional/extra temporary benefits boost as it is funded separately under the stimulus bill.

As of now most state unemployment agencies are still awaiting formal guidance from the Department of Labor (DOL) on the implementation of the new federal provisions and funding. They will need these details to update systems to accommodate mandated changes. As a result state UI agency websites are behind on processing the additional $600 p/week payment. Most are committing to have the updates in place my mid-to-late April. If you already receive UI benefits you will automatically be added to new stimulus programs if eligible and receive these payments as you currently do. Others or newly unemployed will need to (re-)apply for the UI payments.

Will I get the full $600? The $600 is added to whatever amount you are currently getting, whether it’s the minimum or the maximum. So for example even if you are only getting $50 a week in unemployment benefits today you will still get the full $600 through the next four months which is mandated in the stimulus bill.

Also note that the $600 is paid retroactively. Payments are effective starting with the week ending 4/5/20. So, if it takes your state UI agency until mid-April to actually start the payments, they will be retroactive back to 4/5/20. The $600 only applies to those who are receiving unemployment benefits. If your state said that you don’t qualify for UI, then you do not get the $600 either. The bill also waived the 7 day waiting period for new claims. So you can file as soon as you get laid off or lose income as a self employed person.

With over 2.25 unemployment claims filed in the last week along, America is facing not only a health crisis, but a Jobs one as well.

The recently passed Families First Cronavirus Response Act has resulted in several economic stimulus measures, once of which is Enhanced unemployment benefits. The bill provides $1 billion in 2020 for emergency grants to states for activities related to processing and paying unemployment insurance (UI) benefits.

$500 million of the additional funding would be used to provide immediate additional funding to all states for staffing, technology, systems, and other administrative costs, so long as they met basic requirements about ensuring access to earned benefits for eligible workers.

How unemployment insurance works and how to qualify

It mainly depends on where you live because states administer the Unemployment insurance program. But often get help, per the bill discussed above, from the federal government to bolster the state’s UI program and availability of benefits.

Eligibility and benefits are generally calculated as a percentage of your income over the past year, up to a certain maximum. The benefits or UI payment is between 14 and 26 weeks, but can be extended by supporting federal funds.

States would be required to report on the share of eligible individuals who received UI benefits and the state’s efforts to ensure access within one year of receiving the funding. The funding would be distributed in the same proportions as regular UI administrative funding provided through annual appropriations.

The remaining $500 million would be reserved for emergency grants to states which experienced at least a 10 percent increase in unemployment. Those states would be eligible to receive an additional grant, in the same amount as the initial grant, to assist with costs related to the unemployment spike, and would also be required to take steps to temporarily ease eligibility requirements that might be limiting access to UI during the COVID-19 outbreak, like work search requirements, required waiting periods, and requirements to increase employer UI taxes if they have high layoff rates.

Source: FFCRA bill

97 thoughts on “Enhanced 2020 Unemployment Insurance Benefit Payments and Extensions to Tackle Coronavirus Fallout

1. SUSAN

I have not yet been laid off but expect so soon. Will the add’l $600 be applied if I file for UI in May or June? Reading the threads above, I am assuming it would only be applied thru end of July?
    I think my employer is applying for PPP but if retailers remain closed due to virus, she might not be able to keep paying us after Memorial Day.

1. Andys2i Post author

Currently the federal emergency funding that provides the $600 stimulus is only approved till July 2020. But given how things are going it is highly likely to be extended

2. Theresa Hallock

My UI benefits ended on February 26, 2020. I was in the Self Employment Assistance Program in NY. I was told to reapply, however when I enter my NYS GOV ID and get into my forms, it tells me I have exhausted all my benefits and will not provide an application to apply again. I contacted someone from SEAP and they told me to withdraw from the program as I never got to open my business due to COVID-19. I withdrew from the program today. Do you know how long before I can reapply

1. QZ

You need to telephone the NYS unemployment office to reapply. It will take some time for systems and websites to be updated to reflect the new extended benefits.

1. QZ

Unemployment benefits are taxed as income, so I would expect the enhanced benefit to be taxed as income also. I believe that most states offer you the option of having the state withhold (and pay on your behalf) the estimated amount of both state and federal income tax.

3. Mike

No answer, time to unsubscribe, thanks for the beacon of light during this crisis.

4. Mike

Hi, if you don’t have an answer for me that fine please let me know Either way.

I have a month left of his that started in December 19. Will I get the extension and increase, would it wise to not claim my last month until this is in affect?

Please let me know

5. Mike

Hi,

I have about a month of UI, will I get an extension and the increase? Would it make sense to not claim last nite of my balance until this all goes in affect?

1. QZ

Hey Mike: A little antsy, are you? (lol)
      I’m just a random person that stumbled onto this site and decided to offer some answers to folks, so forgive me if I didn’t stumble fast enough for your liking. (My point is that I don’t think there is anyone whose “job” it is to answer questions in forums such as this, so please exercise a little patience when you post a question to one.)

Given that you are currently collecting unemployment, you should be automatically signed up for the extension, as long as you keep submitting your weekly claim, and that you will also automatically begin receiving the enhanced benefit. Keep an eye out for new information posted to your states unemployment webpage, and any potential correspondence through the mail.

1. Mike

Well I asked the same question a few different ways, and other questions that were pretty obvious were answered. I didn’t realize this as a random forum, I thought the one writing the article had some 411, if not I apologize

The main question was im about to run out of ui. I have about a month left, what if they don’t start this program before then and I run out, how will I get extended if I run out.

Should I not claim my last few weeks so that I’m still active?

2. Mike

Should I not claim my last few weeks so that I’m still active?

1. QZ

It’s easy to answer “obvious” questions, isn’t it?
          So…there are a number of “special features” to unemployment compensation right now. The first one that you should be aware of is the extension of benefits. That means that anyone who is currently receiving benefits will automatically receive an extension of the time that they are permitted to claim benefits. Presently, that is an additional 13 weeks. So you now have more than a month of benefits left.
          The second thing is the “enhanced benefit,” which will also kick in automatically. That benefit is for the time period beginning the week ending April 5 (the week we are in) until July 31 (a Friday).
          Now, it will take some time for states to get all of that set up, so you shouldn’t look for that to come along with this weeks usual unemployment payment, but it will be paid retroactively, so eventually you will receive it (for most, if not all, of the four months that it is being paid out.
          So, no, you should not stop claiming now. You should definitely keep claiming now.
          IF by any chance something goes screwy and you are not automatically extended, then you need to get in touch with the unemployment office. I think that answers all your questions? Let me know if it doesn’t.
          Good luck, Mike.

2. Mike

Thank You very much for your time QZ. So in essence I don’t need to do anything, the extra 13 weeks will be added and the increase as well right?

I have been checking same ole notes ” no extensions available right now” but that’s been there forever.

You don’t need to reply I’m just talking to myself lol. Thanks again.

3. Ash

I too have a month left and I am on the same page as Mike! It’s been kinda a grey area for those already receiving unemployment, you don’t have to be such a dick! Some people are worried about their livelihood like Mike and myself! Thank you for your response but honestly there no need for your haste!

6. Tina

I was recently released from prison but I’ve worked the last 3 months. I was recently laid off due to the virus can I claim UI in Idaho

7. K Smith

My unemployment ended in October 2019.Would I be eligible for the extended benefits? If so how would I go about getting it?

1. Andys2i Post author

Yes. Apply or reactivate your benefits via your state’s unemployment site.

1. kyle frank

hey … ive been checking my website here in ny and calling and cant get through. but on the website im not able to reapply for extended benefits. mine ran out 3 weeks ago march 8th. how long does this take ?

1. QZ

Hey Kyle- I know a number of folks that have been trying to get through on the telephone and are having a terrible time. Just keep trying.

8. Carla

My UI Claim was just processed last week . I was laid off due to lack of work caused by the Covid-19 pandemic. I worked as a daycare provider in a child care center in Georgia. Am I eligible for the enhanced unemployment benefits?

Hi Carla,
      If you are eligible for unemployment, you are eligible for the enhance benefit.

9. Gina

I am a indépendant contractor, the filing does not pertain to anyone in my field since they just approved stimulus to include contractors/gig/ self employed but I still filed. If I get denied will the stimulus enhanced benefit up to $600 be available for me? It seems very unfair to deny this field of workers if they don’t meet the requirements during that allotted time.. they need to take into consideration work may be more or less depending on the contracts received.

What to do if I am denied?

1. Lori Pinkleton

Gina – From everything I read I see that you would get your state unemployment and the extended federal $600. You being a contractor means you are self-employed. I wish you success in navigating the process.

2. QZ

I think that in this context, “contractors” means independent contractors, i.e. many of the folks who work for Google, Facebook, etc., that are not “employed” by Google, Facebook, etc. “Contractors,” as in people who hire other people on our behalf to build houses, remodel houses, etc., would either be small businesses or sole proprietors (self-employed).

There is a formal process for appealing an unemployment denial. Go to your state’s unemployment website and carefully review the information contained in it. Somewhere there will be a section on appealing the denial of unemployment benefits. Read it carefully and follow all of the rules. Pay attention to time limits.

I suspect you will not be denied, but if you are not eligible for the expanded unemployment benefit, you are also NOT eligible for the enhanced benefit.

10. Donna

if I exhausted my unemployment benefits on January 10 2020 and are still unemployed…..can I get an extension for the 600.00?

Hi Donna,
      You will almost certainly be eligible for the extension of regular unemployment benefits plus the enhanced benefit.

11. DMH

if I started collecting unemployment the 2nd week of January, will I be eligible for the extra 600.00?

1. Andys2i Post author

Yes. If you already get UI you will automatically get new stimulus payments and extended duration of benefits.

1. Gary George

I received my last California UI payment on March 28,2020, will i continue to receive benefits and extensions per the phase three stimulus bill since it was passed into law March 25, 2020?

Thanks,

Hi Gary,
          I would expect that you would qualify for the extension of regular benefits plus the enhanced benefit, but you may need to telephone the unemployment office as it will take some time for them to get their systems and webpages updated to reflect the new standards. It will be hard to get through; keep trying.

1. QZ

The enhanced benefit went into effect this week, but it will take some time to get things in place and start paying folks. It will be paid retroactively, though, so if you are currently collecting unemployment, you will receive it eventually.

12. Darrek

When I try to file a new claim it tells me that I’m “ineligible at this time.”

I can’t seem to get through to anyone during the 4-hour window, so what recourse do I have?

Hi Darrek,
      It will take time for states to get their systems and websites updated so your only option at this point is to “keep trying” to get through on the telephone. I’m not sure what state you’re in, but right now all of the unemployment lines are overwhelmed. If you have only one four hour window per week, keep dialing during that four hours.

13. Darrek

My 13 weeks of benefits ran out at the end of February and I am having no luck finding a job during the national crisis. There is no prompt for an extension on my UI page, it just says, “maximum benefits paid.” Can I get an extension?

1. Andys2i Post author

State agencies are still processing the additional federal funds. Will be in your UI page/check soon

14. Cynthia Patternac

Unfortunately my benefits ended March 3rd in the midst of our National Emergency. I still have access to the UI site with my pin, but there is no communication of an extension to be filed? Furthermore, I called and they know nothing of an extension? I have no income whatsoever…Please help
    I am eligible?

Hi Cynthia,
      You are probably eligible. It takes time to get the systems and websites updated. I would think that most folks working at unemployment offices would have been informed of this by now, so keep an eye on the website, and try calling again next week.

15. John W Marris

My wife does baby sitting at home does she qualify for unemployment benefits because of the virus going around

2. QZ

If your wife has been baby sitting at home casually (under the table), she would not be eligible for unemployment insurance. If she is set up as a formal business (even as a sole proprietor, using her own name), paying taxes, etc., on the income she earns, she should be eligible.

16. Anita Rosinola

I applied for unemployment due to my company closing because of covid-19 The amount of my benefit does not reflect the extra money we are suppose to get from the federal government so can I expect that the extremely low amount of my checks now will be increased? and will I be notified from unemployment as to how much it will be increased? I will have a very hard time making ends meet with the little I am getting as of now.

Hi Anita,
      It will take some time for the states to get the enhanced benefit up and running, but it will be payed retroactively, beginning with the week ending April 5. The enhanced benefit is $600. I expect no matter which state you are in, that will help a lot. If you’re in one of the really low-paying states, it will help A LOT.

2. QZ

Hi Cynthia,

17. Robert B

Question, I am a 68 year old living with my significant other who has heart disease and is a diabetic. I work full time for the US Post office as a clerk/counter position. I am extremely concerned and scared of contracting this virus at work. Can I quit and apply for UI until they have a vaccine for the virus?

Hi Matthew,
        If you have been making payments toward the arrears, you might. If you haven’t been making payments, it seems unlikely.

Hi Robert,
      If your significant other were working and a physician advised them to quit for the time being, they might be able to collect unemployment. (This would tend to be a state decision, though, so not a certainty.) It is unlikely though, that you would be able to quit your job on their behalf and be approved for unemployment.

Your age is also a factor here. I think that states tend to deny unemployment compensation to folks that are eligible to collect Social Security. You are probably trying to hold off to age 70, and I respect that, but the government really doesn’t.

2. QZ

Hi Robert,
      The unfortunate answer is: probably not. Unemployment insurance is intended for folks who are out of work “through no fault of their own.”

18. Stephen

I live in Utah but I am a contractor that went all over the US working. I cannot see how to file in Utah for unemployment with the new relief bill for contractors. I need advice on how to do this and they are so busy you cannot get through on the phone. Any advice would be helpful.

Hi Stephen,
      I wish I could offer you better advise, or even a small kernel of actual knowledge about your situation, but it is complex given that you reside in one state, work in several others (for more than one company, I assume?), and independent contractors collecting unemployment is new. The only thing I can recommend is that you keep trying to get through on the phone. On the other hand, if you were working all over the country, but for just one company, you might be required to collect unemployment through the state that the company “resides” in.

19. Cheryl T Crandall

If my regular benefits ran out in February, am I eligible for the extension?

1. QZ

If you are not able to reapply through the website, you will need to telephone your states unemployment office.

20. Andys2i Post author

The railroad industry won enhanced unemployment benefits that account for its workers not being covered under traditional state-run unemployment programs. Railroad workers instead receive unemployment benefits under a program administered by the Railroad Retirement Board. The bill removes a seven-day waiting period to collect unemployment and provides $50 million to cover the benefits tied to that waiver. It also provides $425 million to double biweekly unemployment payments to $1,200 through July.

21. KAREN CAMM

I also want to know that if I am currently a claimant and I am working part- time and still have monies in my claim left, do I also qualify for the extra funds?

Hi Karen,
      From what I can tell, if you are collecting unemployment, you will receive the enhanced benefit in addition to your regular benefits. I didn’t see anything in H.R. 748 that excludes folks that are working part-time and collecting partial unemployment benefits. (I assume your benefits are partial.)

22. Ray

I just filed a claim for new jersey and it says I’ll be getting 713/weekly. With the extra $600 does that mean I’ll be getting $1,313/weekly for unemployment benefits???

1. Mieks

It hardly. It’s just saying some places are paying up to 600 over their max depending on your last salary. A person who lost a 55k a year job shouldn’t be only paid 430/week. They wouldn’t get the whole 600 more, but someone who lost ab115k job would

1. Tom418

The $600 more is IN ADDITION to what you are already getting. And it IS $600, regardless of your income. Some senators didn’t like the idea, since
        some employees would get more in benefits than they were earning as employees. However, the senate bill DID pass that way.

2. QZ

Hi Karen,

1. QZ

The above comment was supposed to be in response to Ray from New Jersey. I’ve done a lot of these this evening, so I guess my eyes are getting a bit tired.

23. Borgman N

My Airline is reducing the work week 25% and thereof our monthly earnings. What I find ironic is that I will be making 32% more by staying safely at home and collecting unemployment. The other option is to take a leave of absence with no pay what so ever because I will not qualified for unemployment according to the Company.

1. Alan Larkin

Yeah it is weird that they passed a bill that rewards people not working and punishes people who are still working.

1. QZ

I wouldn’t say “punishes” people who are not working, but I agree that there is a great deal of inequity when you think about all of the folks that are still working. My sister was not happy to learn that the enhanced benefit by itself is about what she earns in a week, working full-time. She isn’t dealing with the public, thankfully, but she is still working and yes, right now she would earn more if she were laid off. My theory is this:
        1) Economics: It is cheaper to give everyone the same amount than to figure out what amount each person needs to have added to their regular unemployment benefit, to get them to their “full pay.” (That was the original purpose of the enhanced benefit.)
        2) Politics: Because each state sets its own unemployment compensation rates, states like Florida, which has a very low maximum benefit, would receive many more federal dollars than New York, which has a maximum benefit roughly twice that of Florida. To get a Floridian earning $800 a week in Florida to “full pay,” would cost the feds a lot more than getting a New Yorker earning $800 a week to “full pay.”

1. QZ

Typo above; I meant to say, “I wouldn’t say that it punishes people who are still working…”

24. Edward C. Stengel

I heard that if you became unemployed because of COVID 19, you would be eligible for the generous federal extended unemployment benefits, but if you qualified for the regular 26 weeks of state unemployment insurance, you would have to take that first. If that was the case, would the $600 bonus of the federal extended benefits apply to the 26 weeks of state benefits?

1. QZ

There are a number of “special features” in unemployment compensation right now. The enhanced benefit ($600) is for four months only (April-July), but I believe it will be paid to everyone that is unemployed during that period of time.

25. Lori Crowl

I am s self employed, sole proprietors of a hair salon. Will the stimulus package allow me to collect some unemployment since Ohio governor ordered salons to close?

26. Tommy Foster

I’ve been receiving unemployment since January will I receive the $600 boost

1. Michelle Burch

If you are already receiving unemployment, would you still receive the additional $600?

2. QZ

You should receive that, plus the extension if you are still unemployed at the end of your initial claim.

27. John blake

Please help!!! Cannot find answer anywhere on the web or through my states dept of unemployment website(illinois)and cant get through to them via phone as their system is swamped.
    Is this new legislation(coranavirus stimulas) on unemployment extension to 39 weeks good for someone who’s unemployment ran out two months ago(26 weeks worth) and has nothing to do with coranavirus? Or am I completely out of luck as it probably only applies to recent claims having to do with coranavirus? Thank you in advance so much for possible help!!

Hi John,
      You should be eligible for the extension. It will take some time to get systems/websites updated, but keep watching the states unemployment website for those changes, and in the meantime, keep dialing that phone number.

28. Claudette S

Hi, I am looking to file unemployment in two different states. I currently live in Tennessee, but I made more money in California. It says to exhaust the state that I made more money in, but I read another article that says to file a claim in the state you reside in. So I am a little confused now to which one I should file in. Can someone help?

1. QZ

“What” says to exhaust the state you made more money in? Usually you are required to file for unemployment in the state where you worked. (When I first began working, I lived in one state, but worked in another. When I was laid off, I had to file in the state where I worked, not the state that I lived in.)

If you go onto the website of both states unemployment offices, there should be information to guide you. But if I were in your situation and wasn’t sure, I would start with the state that would pay me the highest benefit. Both states will take into account all of your wages for the past 5 quarters, not just the wages that you earned in that state.

29. Angie Hearld

I also got denied benefits saying I didn’t make enough money in my base period, even though I’ve worked the past 11 months. What should I do now?

1. QZ

Check the unemployment webpage of the state you are claiming in to find out what the minimum earnings in your base period was. (Though it might not matter at this point.) If you believe their determination is wrong, check the website for information on filing an appeal of their determination. Follow instructions and pay attention to time limits.

It is also possible, now that they have changed some of the rules (temporarily) that if you file a claim once the systems/webpages are updated to reflect the new information, that you would be approved.

30. Donald Wanamaker

My employer tells us not to apply for unemployment but use our vacation time. Is this part of H.R.6201

1. Andys2i Post author

Well. If you have a job you need to use vacation and sick time first. You can only apply for UI if you lose your income of your job. But best bet is to check your state website

2. QZ

Hi Donald,
      I’ve answered a lot of these this evening, so I’m getting a bit weird in the head, which might explain why my response to this question is:
      IS YOUR EMPLOYER ON CRACK?!!
      I am so sure that he cannot force you to use your vacation time for this purpose. There is a forgive-able loan program available to many employers, the specific purpose of which is to keep folks on the payroll. Your employer can find information about that in H.R. 748. He can keep you all on the payroll for awhile and leave your vacation time intact. If he wants to bring back the same employees when his business re-opens, he really should rethink annoying all of them in this very particular way.

31. David St. Hubbins

Kevin, you should apply for UI in your state immediately. SSI is not involved in this and will not affect your payment.

1. Dave K

I live in Pennsylvania and I filed for unemployment when I lost my full-time job. I am also working a part-time job. I understand that I have to claim my part-time earnings, which is deducted from my unemployment benefits. Since I should be considered as “partially unemployed’, am I still qualified for the $600.00 extra per week?
      Thanks!

1. QZ

I didn’t see anything in H.R. 748 that pertained to partial employment. It seemed to me that if you collect unemployment, you get the enhanced benefit.

32. Julene Salmans

Ive worked for 8 months and I was denied benefits saying that I didn’t make enough money so…..what do i do now

1. QZ

You don’t say when you applied. You can either appeal the determination of ineligibility or reapply. Look at your states unemployment website for instructions on how to appeal. Pay attention to the instructions and follow the deadlines. If I read H.R. 748 correctly, you should qualify now, even if the determination was correct when it was made.

If you apply again and are again denied benefits, definitely appeal.

33. Kevin Bowler

I feel like there’s to many different things at once and I don’t know which one to go to. I do get SSI and I worked part time. I was told just today that I laid off! And won’t be able to pay all my bills! On top of that I’m a single parent with no support from my son’s mother! I just want to know if I Qualify for anything to help us!

1. Alan Larkin

If you have been laid off you will qualify for unemployment as long as you meet the requirements of your state

1. QZ

The fact that you collect SSI complicates this. I would still recommend that you try applying for unemployment, though. If you “have the stomach” for it, you can even appeal a determination of ineligibility. Eventually you might find someone who is able to see the injustice of your being ineligible and approve you for it. (That would take quite a bit of effort and probably more than a year to get through the process.) But if you apply, maybe they will approve it.